Safety precautions during demolition
Every year construction sites cause innumerable deaths and injuries; therefore, construction companies are increasingly adapting to the various safety measures to ensure the safety of the workers and visitors alike on the site, especially demolition work which involves an array of dangerous factors that can cause human tragedy. It is heart-wrenching to witness such incidents, but we can substantially reduce the fatality by taking appropriate preventive measures.
The unknown changes in the structural design, the unknown weakness, and vulnerability of the damaged structure and unpredictable behavior of the stumbling building could pose the maximum risk. The below mentioned are a few precautionary measures that will be helpful in safeguarding lives during demolition.
The Primary Task lists:
– There must be an engineering survey prior to the demolition work to understand the condition of the structure. And everything should be well documented that can be followed during the demolition process.
– You need to shore and brace the walls and floors of the building before the demolition work commences.
– The ladders and scaffolding must be inspected properly; all the damaged tools must be taking away from the site or tagged as dysfunctional.
– The stairways are one of the major areas that need careful attention; ensure that the stairways are properly checked.
– The stairways should be illuminated nicely to avoid any kind of accident occurring out of the lack of visibility.
– You should shut down electricity, water, sewer and other service lines outside the demolition site. It is important to notify the concerned utility service providers to relocate the systems temporary out of this zone.
– The hazardous substances like gases, chemicals, flammable materials and explosives should be tested and appropriate safety measures should be taken into consideration.
– The asbestos should be surveyed and appropriate removal methods must be drawn out to carry out the safe asbestos removal without letting the fibers contaminating the environment.
– Determine and test types of hazardous chemicals, gases, explosives, and flammable materials.
– The floor opening should be secured and strengthened to survive the imposed load; you should use secured chutes to transport or drop the materials to the ground.
– You should also build shoots that can withstand the pressure of the loads without falling.
– Design and construct shoots that will withstand the loads imposed without falling.
– Post placards at each potentially dangerous site mentioning the nature of the hazard
After preparing the checklist, now you are ready to go into the demolition process; and the following are the important aspect of the demolition procedure that you must consider and pay attention to finish the job without injury or fatality.
Equipment and safety gears:
The employees should be trained on various functionality and implications of machines like cranes and Spreader Box; all the machines should be in proper working condition. Each worker should have proper safety gears like helmets, harnesses, masks, boots, gloves and other devices to safeguard themselves against hazardous substances.
You must take a pre-demolition meeting to explain the importance of the safety guidelines; make sure that you train the employees to use the devices and safety gears appropriately.
Before you begin the demolition process, ensure that you carry out a final sweep to make certain that everyone is out of the site. Check every space perfectly; from washrooms to closets, hallways, and bathroom.
Make sure that employees and workers are out of the building. You must pay attention and monitor the unauthorized access to the demolition site. Sometimes, people unknowingly get into the site that could be dangerous; hence, to avoid such kinds of accidents, appoint someone who could be vigilant and stop people from entering the premises.
You should guide the new employees, and make equipment and devices available to them. There should be someone in charge of assessing the final checkups – each aspect of the inspection process should be documented and informed to all the employees. By conducting a final check-up, you will ensure utmost safety.
Get experienced professionals:
The experienced professionals should be the first choice. For instance, disposing chemicals and explosive materials need careful handling and skills. Therefore, you should be looking for experts specialized in demolition work. By giving the responsibility to the experienced workers, you will eliminate the risk that novice workers tend to cause due to lack of knowledge and skills.
Brace walkways and ceiling:
At times people might need to enter into the site and equipping the ceilings and walkways with braces will give you the additional support that can prevent a lot of injury and damages.
After the demolition, you will have to dispose of the debris and this is one of the most dangerous aspects of the demolition process because materials like broken asbestos and chemicals need to be taken away carefully and disposed at a designated place. Only specially trained professionals can carry out this job. So, ensure that you hire the right people.
The communication between the team is important; make sure that you minimize the chances of the miscommunication. A lot of accidents occur due to human error and carelessness; hence, make sure that you follow a clear-cut communication strategy, keep everybody in the loop during the demolition process.
If you think that taking care of the safety aspect could be heavy on your work schedule, then you have the luxury of hiring safety consultants who can synchronize, monitor and execute the demolition process quite effectively.
By hiring a professional, you will be in a better position to carry out the demolition work properly because the consultant would take off a lot of pressure that you might have gone through if you have chosen to take care of the safety aspect by yourself instead.
Eventually, life on the construction sites without safety measures is risky; so, ensure that you follow strict guidelines and adequate safety measures to minimize the accidents, fatality, and losses. In fact, it needs careful planning, adequate resource allocation and thoughtful execution. By streamlining demolition process, you will make things easier for your employees.
This guest post was written by William L. Vinci
Author Bio: William L. Vinci is the content manager at Warren Trailers which specializes in making the best and long running bodies for the trailers and dump trucks. By using the most modern methods and technology and we have best results in service of steel dump trailers, aluminum dump trailers and hydraulic fifth wheels.